Each show during awards season is special for its own reasons. The Golden Globes serve alcohol, so as the night goes on, the speeches became a little more, shall we say . . . loose. When you watch the Oscars, you know you are witnessing someone's career skyrocketing, especially the first-time winners. But for me, the best show is always the Screen Actors Guild Awards. Each category is voted on by actors, for actors, so when you win, you are being celebrated by your peers - the people who know exactly what it takes to transform into a character and tell a powerful story.
One of the others things I have always loved about the Screen Actors Guild Awards is the intro. Each year they select a few actors to speak directly into the camera, sharing how they fell in love with the craft. Each monologue ends with, "My name is so-and-so, and I am an actor." It's a tradition I look forward to every year.
This year's show was hosted by Megan Mullally of Will & Grace. About 45 minutes into the broadcast, she introduced the president of the Screen Actors Guild, Andrea Zuckerman! (Also known by her real name, Gabrielle Carteris). I always forget she's running the union!
I cheered from the couch as so many of my favorites took home trophies - Rachel Brosnahan for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Mahershala Ali for Green Book, Sandra Oh (I don't watch Killing Eve, but my love for Cristina Yang is eternal), and the entire cast of This Is Us.
While I love to see who wins, and I always hope for a memorable speech or two, the main reason I tune in is the red carpet. Last night there were some real stunners, and some amazingly embarrassing flops. Read on for my list of the best and worst dressed.
1. Constance Wu - The star of Crazy Rich Asians stepped onto the carpet in this beautiful, delicate, Oscar de la Renta dress. It fits her perfectly, and I love the detail of the brooch on her left hip.
2. Emma Stone - Emma Stone is fond of wearing pants, and this time it really worked. The gold blouse had an appropriate level of bling for the occasion, and paired well with the wide-leg trousers. I wanted to high-five her for doing a bold, red lip.
3. Rachel Brosnahan - Rachel Brosnahan took the stage twice last night, winning for best lead actress in a comedy series and best ensemble cast in a comedy series. She is on the best dressed list because this is a complete, head-to-toe look that really shines. Is the dress on its own mind blowing? No. But when you combine it with the sleek, straight hair, those gorgeous earrings, a smoky eye and a rose-colored lip, now we're talking.
4. Catherine Zeta-Jones - Please, God, let me look like this at 49 years old. Catherine Zeta-Jones turned heads in this navy, sequin, Zuhair Murad gown. The cut (both the plunging neckline and the slit) flatters her figure, and the beaded sleeves add a level of sophistication.
5. Patricia Clarkson - Patricia Clarkson looks like a Grecian goddess in this gown with floor-length sleeves. This is also Zuhair Murad.
Now, there were some looks I liked, but didn't love. Honorable mentions go to: Margot Robbie in Chanel, Susan Kelechi Watson in Christian Siriano, Danai Gurira in Ralph & Russo, Melissa McCarthy in silver sequins (final a dress that fits!), and Amy Adams in Celine (if only that peplum proportion wasn't so insane).
And now what you've really been waiting for, the train wrecks.
1. Anthony Ramos - The cast member from A Star is Born took the stage to help introduce the film and looked like he was covered in the green puke emoji. How on earth could he have thought this suit was a good decision?
2. Alison Brie - This look is like a butterfly meets Black Swan. The bow is way too big, and when I finally saw it from the back, I couldn't believe the tacky bedazzling.
3. Emily Blunt - I have such a girl crush on Emily Blunt, but this dress is all wrong. It's Pepto-Bismol colored, and those pieces of fabric climbing up her sides are crazy!
4. Chris Pine - If Chris Pine set out to look like a marshmallow wearing a bow tie, mission accomplished. In the words of Ariana Grande, "Thank u, next."
5. Michael B. Jordan - It kills me to put Michael B. on this list! I adore him. But he made the same mistake Timothee Chalemet made at the Golden Globes by choosing a harness, and this one is arguably worse because it's so bright.
Those are my picks. Did you watch? Which looks did you love?