Wow, it still feels weird to type 2018.
Last night the 2018 awards season kicked off with the 75th Golden Globe Awards. Seth Meyers served as host, delivering a pretty funny opening monologue. As expected, he skewered Donald Trump. My favorite bit was, "Give it up for the Hollywood Foreign Press. A string of three words that could not have been better designed to infuriate our president. Hollywood Foreign Press. The only name that would make him angrier would be the Hillary Mexico Salad Association." I must admit, I was happy when he bantered with Amy Poehler, because let's be honest, we all wish she and Tina Fey could host every year.
As the awards were handed out, I screamed with joy for Sterling K. Brown of This Is Us, Rachel Brosnahan of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Nicole Kidman and Alexander Skarsgard of Big Little Lies and Allison Janney of I, Tonya. I have to say, I was quite disappointed Margot Robbie didn't win for I, Tonya. I love Saoirse Ronan and Lady Bird was amazing, but Robbie completely transformed for a physically and emotionally challenging part.
Let's talk about Oprah. When I heard she was receiving the Cecil B. Demille Award, it made me even more excited to watch the broadcast. When Oprah speaks, you just feel good. You feel inspired and empowered. I am not going to lie, I teared up at the end when she looked right into the camera and said, "To all the little girls who are watching . . ."
Now onto the real reason we all watch - the fashion. This year's red carpet was different than most because the #TimesUp rally cry urged all the stars to arrive in black. The all-black dress code made it hard to stand out, but of course, there were still some stunners. Below are my picks for the best (and the worst) dressed.
1. Jessica Chastain - Jessica Chastain was on my Worst Dressed list at the Golden Globes last year, so a dramatic improvement! This year she arrived in a sleek Armani Prive dress, with just a hint of gold. Her hair is perfect, the red lip is perfect and those dazzling earrings are perfect.
2. Zoe Kravitz - Zoe Kravitz is a natural beauty and she kept it simple in a Saint Laurent column dress with emerald green earrings. In fact, many actresses were wearing green earrings last night. Did you notice?
3. Viola Davis - I hadn't seen Viola Davis on the red carpet, so when she walked out to present with her sky-high hair, that slinky Brandon Maxwell dress and those beautifully draped jewels, my jaw hit the floor. A friend who was over to watch the show said, "Damn, she looks like Diana Ross!" I also loved the rose gold eyeshadow and lip stick.
4. Margot Robbie - I was rooting for Margot Robbie to take home a statue for I, Tonya. She stepped onto the red carpet in a Gucci dress with a plunging neckline and shimmering accents. Those sequins felt like a nod to her figure skating costumes in the movie.
5. Nicole Kidman - When it comes to awards season, Nicole Kidman always brings her A game. This Givenchy dress was delicate and feminine, yet she still looked powerful.
6. Penelope Cruz - Spanish beauty Penelope Cruz looked especially glamorous in this Ralph & Russo gown. I can't wait to watch her in the Assassination of Gianni Versace.
7. Samira Wiley - I loved this head-to-toe look from Samira Wiley. The dress is Romona Keveza (who I know from Say Yes to the Dress) and you just can't beat that megawatt smile.
8. Natalie Portman - I feel like this photo (below) doesn't do justice to how beautiful Natalie Portman looked. The bodice of this velvet Dior dress seemed to fit her like a glove.
1. Susan Sarandon - When I saw Susan Sarandon's hair style last night, I felt like I heard a record scratch. The bangs were odd, the pony tail did not feel age-appropriate and the earrings paired with the updo were just all wrong. I couldn't find a photo of her, but here she is in the E! Glambot.
2. Saoirse Ronan - I love Saoirse Ronan (even more once I learned how to pronounce her first name), but last night her Atelier Versace dress was a miss. The shoulders made it feel intergalactic.
3. Chrissy Metz - Can Chrissy Metz please call Tadashi Shoji to dress her? Please! This Sachin & Babi dress was awful. Not flattering at all. She can do so much better.
4. Maggie Gyllenhaal - When Maggie Gyllenhaal first stepped out of her limo, I thought she was wearing a pearl necklace. When she turned to face the camera, I shrieked. Those earrings look like a strand of pearls that were snipped in the middle by accident!
5. Claire Foy - My beloved Queen wore a black Stella McCartney suit that was a bit too Charlie Chaplin for me. While I loved the bold red lipstick, I just couldn't get past the boxy jacket and pants.
And there you have it! My top picks. Tell me, who stood out to you?
*All images courtesy of Just Jared.