The Golden Globes are one of my most favorite events of the entire year. You have the best of television, movies and music all in one room, with access to unlimited booze, on live TV. What could be better?
There were so many highlights last night including multiple awards for "La La Land" (and a very heartfelt speech from Ryan Gosling), a win for Claire Foy of "The Crown," a trophy for Sarah Paulson of "The People vs. O.J. Simpson" and a plea for acceptance from the legendary Meryl Streep.
Along with the cheers from the couch, there were also some gasps. For example, how did John Lithgow not win for his portrayal of Winston Churchill?
Though I love rooting for the TV shows and movies I adore, my undisputed favorite part of the night each year is the fashion. Below you'll find my picks for the best and worst dressed at last night's show.
1. Drew Barrymore - It's been a while since Drew has been in a film, but last night she appeared on the red carpet in an ethereal Monique Lhuillier gown that was flattering, feminine and so perfectly her style. It was bohemian, but still had the required level of glam.
2. Gina Rodriguez - I love "Jane the Virgin" and always look forward to seeing what Gina will wear on the red carpet. This year she wowed in a shimmering Naeem Kahn dress. I loved the 20s style flapper hair.
3. Kristen Bell - Kristen was on my best dressed list for the Emmys in September and she wowed again last night in a sleek, sequin Jenny Packham number. The waves in her hair were a perfect compliment. Her best accessory was undoubtedly her husband, Dax Shepard, who looked the most handsome he ever has on TV.
4. Janelle Monae - Though Janelle Monae is best known for her high energy musical performances, she is on the awards show circuit this year for her role in "Hidden Figures." This outfit would be way too much on anyone else, but for someone with her fearlessness, it was perfection.
5. Priyanka Chopra - Priyanka was my number one choice for best dressed at the Emmys in September. This woman works it. Last night she was glittering in a gold Ralph Lauren gown.
6. Reese Witherspoon - Reese looked beautiful in a butter yellow Atelier Versace dress with matching jewels. The dress fit her perfectly. After all these years at awards shows, she knows exactly what looks good on her.
1. Sarah Jessica Parker - Allegedly SJP's look last night was meant to be an homage to Carrie Fisher and Princess Leia. I don't mean any disrespect to Carrie Fisher, but this dress was a disaster, as was the hair. It's unflattering and she looks like a marshmallow. The worst part? It's Vera Wang!
2. Kristen Wiig - Like Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig struggles with red carpet fashion. Her choices are never quite right. This look is horrible in every way - the dress, the hair and the muted makeup.
3. Jessica Biel - Jessica arrived on the arm of her husband, Justin Timberlake, who was nominated for his catchy song "Can't Stop the Feeling" from the movie "Trolls." I hate everything about this dress. The top half is just not enough fabric and conversely, the skirt is huge and has way too many layers of texture. And why does it need a giant slit up the side? No. Just no.
4. Jessica Chastain - I love Jessica Chastain. I think she's a fantastic actress. However, this Prada dress shows too much cleavage and the hair do she chose to go with it is terrible. What you can't see in the photo below is the braid / bun she has going on in the back.
5. Anna Chlumsky - The "Veep" star was also on my worst dressed list for the Emmys in September. She desperately needs a new stylist. This green dress isn't flattering and the gold earrings she wore with it were way too big.
6. Donald Glover - Donald won two awards for his new series "Atlanta" on FX, beating out fan favorites like "Transparent" and "Mozart in the Jungle." The entire time he was giving his first acceptance speech I kept thinking, "Why didn't anyone tell him not to wear a brown velvet suit?"
Those are my picks. Tell me, who were your favorites?