Other than my birthday, the Oscars is my favorite event of the year. I love the glitz, the glamour and the prestige. This year was particularly exciting because I had seen so many of the nominated movies.
The show began with a shot in the arm of happiness and fun, courtesy of a jovial Justin Timberlake. The smiles and laughter continued with a hysterical (and topical) opening monologue from host Jimmy Kimmel. He had several great one liners and skits, but my favorite was definitely the Red Vines and Junior Mints raining down from the sky. That might top Ellen DeGeneres ordering pizzas to the theater.
In addition to the laughs, I also did a lot of cheering. I was thrilled for winners Mahershala Ali and Emma Stone, and excited to see Katherine Johnson, the real life hero of Hidden Figures.
Though the night is centered around the awards ceremony, the real contest is on the red carpet. The ladies of Hollywood brought their A game last night! Below are my favorites, as well as the ones who left me asking, "Really?"
1. Taraji P. Henson - Taraji wore a hideous mini dress to the Grammy Awards so I was worried about what she would arrive in last night. I was relieved and thrilled to see her emerge in an Alberta Ferretti number that was absolutely perfect. The dress was a dark navy with a va-va-voom neckline. The shape really highlighted her figure, including a sky high slit. The soft waves in her hair were gorgeous, as was the glittering eye makeup. Everything about this look - dress, shoes, jewels - is stunning.
2. Octavia Spencer - Octavia! I was blown away by how beautiful she looked in this silver Marchesa gown. The top of the dress is sophisticated and elegant and the feathered skirt adds just the right amount of flair.
3. Viola Davis - I feel like 2017 is the year of Viola Davis. Last night she won her first Oscar for her performance in Fences. She accepted the award in an Armani Prive dress that looked like it was made just for her. The neckline and sleeves were different than any of the other dresses on the carpet. Not only was the fit perfect, but the color was bold and her hair and makeup was chic.
4. Ruth Negga - The Loving star wore a Valentino dress that had an Elizabethan vibe to it. I loved the delicate, lace neckline, the full sleeves and the texture on the skirt. Ginnifer Goodwin arrived on the carpet in a very similar dress by Zuhair Murad.
5. Matt Damon - Matt Damon (my middle school crush) arrived with his wife Lucy, both in Versace. I must say, they are a very attractive couple! I thought Matt looked distinguished and Lucy's dress was flattering and had just the right amount of sparkle for the occasion.
1. Leslie Mann - I think Leslie Mann is hilarious, but there was nothing funny about the train wreck that was this dress. The chartreuse Zac Posen number buried her beneath a mountain of fabric. The skirt was way too voluminous. Also what was that bizarre Little Bo Peep bow across the chest? No. Just no.
2. Jessica Biel - Jessica Biel was also on my worst dressed list for the Golden Globes. I hate that she disappointed me twice in a row! This Kaufman Franco dress made her look like C-3P0. There was zero reason to put a giant gold necklace on top of an already gold and glittering dress.
3. Dakota Johnson - Maybe after being naked so much in the Fifty Shades of Grey movies Dakota Johnson has forgotten how to pick out acceptable clothes. This Gucci dress was awful and dowdy. My sister texted me, "Dakota Johnson looks like a sister wife." And why does her forehead look so enormous?
And there you have it, my picks for the best and worst dressed. Who made your list? Also, does anyone know who the busty woman was sitting next to Ryan Gosling? She was spilling out of her dress the whole night!
*All images courtesy of Just Jared.