Hello, friends! Happy Friday. We're in the midst of a heatwave in New England and my god is it hot and sweaty! A perfect time to crank the AC and do some streaming.
Before we get into my top picks for this week, here are three shows that are coming soon:
- Monday, August 16 - This one is for Bachelor Nation. Our beloved summer spin off, Bachelor in Paradise, is returning to ABC next week. The trailer they've been running for this season looks absolutely bananas. Demi is back; need I say more?
- Friday, August 20 - Sandra Oh stars as a new university department head in the upcoming Netflix series, The Chair. The cast looks amazing, including Jay Duplass, Holland Taylor and Amanda Peet.
- Tuesday, September 7 - Beanie Feldstein stars as Monica Lewinsky in American Crime Story: Impeachment on FX. I love Beanie and am excited to see her take on this role.
The Kissing Booth 3 came out on Netflix this week and I can't wait to watch. I'll share my thoughts once I've finished!
Ok, onto this week's favorites.
1. Outer Banks (Netflix) - Season two of Outer Banks dropped on Netflix and I watched all 10 episodes in three sittings. This is the perfect show: waterfront location, gorgeous cast and edge-of-your-seat suspense.
In episode one, John B and Sarah are hiding out on a boat headed for Nassau in the Bahamas. They are on a quest to find the gold bars Sarah's dad, Ward, stole from them. Back home in OBX, friends and family think that they are lost at sea and gone forever.
Pope gets a big story line this season with a treasure hunt of his own. That search leads to an absolute bomb being dropped in the final 10 seconds of the last episode.
This show is great for two major reasons: (1) they keep you guessing. Every time you think you know what's about to happen, things take an unexpected turn, and (2) the casting is superb. Charles Esten of Who's Line is it Anyway and Nashville is incredible as Ward, a wealthy man driven by greed. Drew Starkey plays his son Rafe, who is mentally unwell and wreaking havoc everywhere he goes. Rudy Pankow plays JJ, a member of the Pogues with undeniable charisma and wit.
If you didn't watch season one, I think it's worth starting from the beginning and binging both seasons. Now the hard part: waiting for a season three!
2. Good Trouble (Freeform / Hulu) - Good Trouble is back and the first four episodes since its return have been excellent. If you've never seen the show before, it's a spin off of The Fosters and centers around sisters Callie and Marianna Adams-Foster.
So far, Callie is representing her boss in a lawsuit, Alice is shaking things up in her comedy program, Davia and Dennis may rekindle their romance and Malika is entering a new, unconventional relationship. And did I mention Isabella is back?
This is one of those great ensemble shows where you love all of the characters and you feel sad if they omit one during an episode. The show airs on Freeform is availble on Hulu the next day.
3. Below Deck Mediterranean (Bravo) - The one show I look forward to most every single week is Below Deck on Bravo. The current season takes place in Croatia and Captain Sandy is at the helm of the super yacht. She has a new chief stewardess, Katie, who is struggling to manage her second stew, Lexi. Malia is back as bosun with a totally new deck crew, including David, who has a massive crush on her. The chef, Matt, has already tried to quit twice.
The charter guests this season have been especially needy, particularly around food menus and their drinks being topped off around the clock.
This is the kind of upstairs / downstairs drama that is impossible to resist!
There you have it. My recommendations for this weekend's streaming. Happy viewing.