Hello, friends. I am writing this post at 6:30pm because I was without internet for five hours today! 2020 strikes again.
As the temperatures drop here in Boston, I am spending a lot more time streaming. Are you?
Before we jump into this week's picks, here are few upcoming things to look forward to:
- Today - Ryan Murphy directs the movie Prom for Netflix, an over-the-top spectacle about creating a dream prom for a young teen in a small town in Indiana. It stars Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, Kerry Washington, James Corden and Keegan-Michael Key. I can't wait to watch this!
- Tuesday, December 15 - More episodes of Song Exploder hit Netflix. If you missed the first four, I recommend starting with Lin-Manuel Miranda's journey of writing "Wait for It" for Hamilton.
- Friday, December 18 - Home for Christmas returns to Netflix for a second season. This Norwegian show is an absolute delight. Perpetually single Johanne is tired of the constant questioning from her family about her dating life, so she sets out on a quest to find a new boyfriend before Christmas. If you haven't seen season one, watch it before next Friday!
Now onto this week's must-watch shows and movies.
1. The Undoing (HBO) - Last Sunday, my Instagram feed was taken over by people watching the final episode of The Undoing, which co-stars Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant. They play husband and wife, and Grant is accused of murder.
There are six episodes and I was on the edge of my seat every minute. Just when I thought I knew who the killer was, there'd be another curve ball or diversion.
Many people have said Kidman's character feels similar to the one she played in Big Little Lies and I don't disagree. If you're used to seeing Hugh Grant as the lovable Brit in a rom-com, this is major departure. He has aged. Significantly.
If you're worried this might be too scary, it isn't. There are a few scenes with graphic violence, but you'll see it coming and have time to cover your eyes.
2. Succession (HBO) - Ever since its debut, people have been urging me to watch Succession. With last weekend's snow flurries in Boston, it was the ideal time to hunker down and give the show a shot.
For those who aren't familiar, the story centers around the Roy family, who owns one of the largest media companies in the world. The patriarch, Logan, is unwell and his son, Kendall, is hoping to become his successor (hence the show name).
There are four siblings (three boys, one girl) and a lot of drama and backstabbing. I was surprised the show has become so popular because there is not a single likable character.
That said, it's hard to turn away from all the epic fights. What do you think? Should I continue and watch season two?
3. Godmothered (Disney+) - This new arrival on Disney+ is an absolute delight. Jillian Bell plays Eleanor, a godmother in training, who arrives on earth in search of a girl named Mackenzie.
It turns out Mackenize is all grown up (played by Isla Fischer), but she does have two young daughters. After a few missteps, Eleanor finds a way to make all three girls believe in magic again.
The movie is set in Boston (Charlestown, to be exact) which makes it even more fun to watch. Boston.com did a fun piece about all the places they filled in Massachusetts.
This is charming and festive and feels like exact what we all need right now.
That's it for this week! I'll be back next week with a fresh round.
*Images courtesy of Unsplash, Variety, Deadline and What's on Disney+.