The Screen Actors Guild Awards (SAG Awards, for short) are a special celebration for actors, by actors. Unlike the Golden Globes or the Oscars, these nominees and winners are chosen by fellow members of the union. When you win, you're receiving recognition from your peers, who know just what it takes to pull off that kind of performance.
The vibe at the SAG Awards is always the most light hearted. There seems to be less pressure, but also more gratitude.
I was thrilled to see Allison Janney win for I, Tonya. I am convinced she's going to take home an Oscar in March.
Sterling K. Brown continued his two-year victory lap, first for the People vs. O.J. Simpson and now with This Is Us. He deserves every statue and standing ovation.
A big shout out to the cast of This Is Us for their ensemble award. It was so sweet to watch their table erupt when the show's name was called.
After all the awards the cast has collected so far this year, it's now clear to me the next movie I need to see is Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Have you seen it yet?
Now, onto the real reason we all watch - the fashion! I was curious if the majority of the actors would wear black, as they had at the Golden Globes, but last night many sported the #TimesUp pin on a rainbow of stunning gowns and suits.
Below are my picks for the best dressed (so many!!) and the stars who missed the mark.
1. Natalia Dyer - I don't watch Stranger Things, but I was enchanted by the whimsy of Natalia Dyer's Christian Dior gown. The peek-a-boo neckline is subtle and beautiful and the skirt creates the perfect A-line shape. This look was styled by Brad Goreski, who I have loved ever since he was Rachel Zoe's assistant.
2. Tracee Ellis Ross - Tracee Ellis Ross looked like a Grecian goddess in this Ralph & Russo dress with a train cascading down from one shoulder. Paired with bold red lipstick and matching red accessories, this was a power pose look.
3. Mandy Moore - The star of This Is Us dazzled in a blue sequin dress with the most delicate straps. Her hair looks like DryBar perfection.
4. Olivia Munn - A friend texted during the red carpet to say "I think Olivia Munn looks fierce," and I totally agree. She wows with the sleek hair, natural makeup and just the right amount of bling.
5. Lupita Nyong'o - Ever since her first round of awards shows for 12 Years a Slave, Lupita Nyong'o has slayed it on the red carpet. Last night was no exception. Her Ralph & Russo dress fit like a glove and the feathered bottom added a dash of drama.
6. Nicole Kidman - Nicole Kidman has really been bringing it this year. This chocolate brown Armani Prive dress is a gorgeous compliment to her blond locks and red lipstick.
7. Marisa Tomei - Marisa Tomei, who presented last night, is showing the beauty of simplicity. This dress twinkles and it fits her wonderfully. The soft wave hair do is also gorgeous.
8. Sam Rockwell and Leslie Bibb - I never knew these two were a couple until the Golden Globes. I used to watch Leslie Bibb on the CW show Popular. I thought Sam looked dashing in this navy suit. Though Leslie's forehead doesn't seem to move these days, she looked lovely in this white dress, cinched at the torso with three rings of glitter.
And now onto the looks that left me puzzled.
1. Kate Hudson - Oh dear god. I cannot imagine a universe where this Valentino dress could ever be a good choice. While I do love Kate's short hair, this look is way too Little Bo Peep.
2. Vanessa Kirby - Vanessa Kirby plays Princess Margaret on The Crown (possibly my favorite character) but last night she looked wasted! It honestly appeared as if she got up off the bathroom floor, wiped her mouth, put on red lipstick, shimmied into this dress and stumbled out the door. Side note: it was incredibly difficult to find a photo of her, as she's not as well known as some of the other A-list stars. Sorry it's so tiny!
3. Yvonne Strahovski - This Ester Abner dress is trying to be too many things. It sort of wants to be a wedding dress. It sort of wants to be a country line dancing dress. It just doesn't work.
4. Millie Bobby Brown - There's a lot of gossip about Millie Bobby Brown. People say her parents are trying to take maximum advantage of her fame and they don't want her to walk the red carpet with her co-stars, so she can have the spotlight all to herself. Well, last night she looked atrocious in this Calvin Klein dress. The train feels like an after thought, the Converse ruin any sense of formality and the Princess Leia buns with the black ribbons look juvenile.
5. Saoirse Ronan - It kills me to put Saoirse Ronan on this list, but the sequin details on this dress are awkward. They basically create an outline for her arm pits, which is just strange.
And there you have it! My top picks. Tell me, which looks did you love?