Hello, friends. Happy Friday! It's a gorgeous weather day here in Boston and I'm thrilled.
If you're looking for new things to watch this summer, here are a few upcoming shows to keep on your radar:
- Today - The Spanish high school drama Elite is back on Netflix for season four. This show is such a guilty pleasure and I can't wait to start.
- Wednesday, June 23 - One of my favorite CW shows, In the Dark, returns! Perry Mattfeld stars as Murphy Mason, a blind woman entangled with some very dangerous drug dealers. Casey Deidrick plays her incredibly handsome love interest, Max.
- Sunday, July 11 - The Real Housewives of Potomac returns to Bravo. These women got me through last summer when all my trips were canceled during the pandemic. Watching them on Sunday nights helped diminish my pre-Monday scaries.
I have two picks for you this week, both starring women.
1. The Bachelorette (ABC) - We are two episodes into the new season of The Bachelorette and I'm into it. Katie Thurston, this season's star, is confident, self-assured and ready to find herself a husband. She has a diverse and dynamic group of men fighting for her attention.
So far the group dates have involved embarrassing competitions (a best lover contest and mud wrestling) and her first one-on-one date feels like the beginning of a relationship that could be "the one."
This is the show's first season without veteran host Chris Harrison. I find myself wondering where he is and then remembering what happened. Franchise darlings Kaitlyn Bristowe and Tayshia Adams have stepped in and brought a slumber party vibe to the check ins with Katie.
If you've never watched the show before but have been curious what the hype is about, this would be a good season to hop on the bandwagon.
2. LA's Finest (Netflix) - Season two of this show released last week and I was reminded how much I love it. Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba star as cops, paired together to take down some of Los Angeles' seediest criminals.
I completely forgot that Zach Gilford is in the show too (Matt Saracen on Friday Night Lights). I had watched him recently on Good Girls on NBC. I love him no matter what role he's playing.
The show is the perfect mix of action, suspense, romance and humor. In the first episode I laughed a ton. If you haven't had this one on your watch list, add it.
There you have it, this week's top two! I'll be back next Friday with a fresh round.