Last night the 2020 awards season kicked off with the Golden Globe Awards. The Globes is one of my favorite shows because it honors the best of both movies and television. I was particularly excited to watch this year because I had seen so many of the nominated films, shows and mini series.
I cheered loudly from my couch when Phoebe Waller-Bridge took the stage not once, but twice, for Fleabag. I giggled along with Olivia Coleman who was too buzzed to give a proper speech as she was celebrated for her performance in The Crown. Tears welled in my eyes during the passionate speech by Michelle Williams after her win for Fosse / Verdon. My heart swelled as Kate McKinnon honored her hero, Ellen DeGeneres.
While there were many memorable moments from the show, the real reason I tune in is always the fashion. Each year, when I host my viewing party, I invite my friends over a full two hours before the awards begin so we can watch the entire red carpet on E!
Giddy with anticipation, we watched the stars emerge from their limos, waiting to see who would wow us. Unfortunately, this year's style choices were underwhelming. One of my friends said, "TV is so good right now that something had to give and I think it's the red carpet."
While no one took our breath away, there were a few stand outs. Let's get right to it.
1. Cate Blanchett - Cate Blanchett has always had incredible style and isn't afraid to take risks. She looked like a goddess in this soft yellow dress with crystal embellishments. It looked gorgeous on the red carpet and on stage when she presented.
2. Joey King - Last night was Joey King's first time at the Golden Globe Awards, where she was nominated for her role in The Act. She chose a black and white Iris Van Herpen dress that was totally unique. I loved the dramatic neckline and the way it changed shape as she moved. This was fun and different, while also being age-appropriate.
3. Sofia Vergara - Sofia Vergara has a great stylist. Every dress she wears fits like a glove. This burgundy gown from Dolce & Gabana was a stunner and the oversized hoop earrings were the perfect compliment.
4. Beanie Feldstein - I love, love, love Beanie Feldstein. She walked onto the red carpet in a navy Oscar de la Renta dress accented with a matching hat band. So Many Thoughts creator, Elizabeth Holmes, would be so proud! This dress was just right for the occasion and super flattering. Beanie brought her mom as her date - too cute.
5. Kate McKinnon - I haven't always supported Kate McKinnon's red carpet choices in the past, but I am in full support of this black suit. It fits like it was made especially for her and the sparkly earrings make it feel dressy.
6. Phoebe Waller-Bridge - I was getting major Chanel vibes from this Ralph & Russo Couture suit. I wish it didn't have the black, tulle bow on the left shoulder, but that aside - I'm a big fan.
Now onto the women who made some very questionable choices . . .
1. Gwyneth Paltrow - When Gwyneth (and her husband Brad Falchuck) stepped out of the limo, everyone in my living room shouted in unison, "Oh god! No!" Her Fendi dress looked like a bathing suit with a gauzy cover up over it. And her necklace was hidden under the dress! This was all wrong.
2. Jodie Comer - I became a Jodie Comer fan when I watched her in Dr. Foster (long before Killing Eve) and I was excited to see what she would wear. This emerald green dress is more like a tent. It's enormous, and for no reason. One of my friends suggested she might be trying to hide a pregnancy. I lost it when I saw the yellow feather bag she was carrying. No. Just no.
3. Jennifer Lopez - Jennifer Lopez is having one of the best years of her life. She turned 50 (and looks better than ever), she's engaged, she's getting great buzz for her role in Hustlers and she's going to headline the Super Bowl halftime show. So why on earth would she choose to dress like a giant Christmas present?! This Valentino gown does not show off her figure at all and those hair extensions were way too much. This was a huge (literally) miss.
4. Charlize Theron - I was looking forward to seeing what Charlize Theron would choose for the Golden Globes, especially given her nomination for Bombshell. This Dior Haute Couture dress was terrible. I hated the black and lime green combination. She is so beautiful that she can usually pull off anything, but not this.
5.Reese Witherspoon - Oh, Reese. Why? Reese Witherspoon has all the charm in the world, but last night she arrived with greasy-looking hair, muted makeup and a white dress that looked like the result of the toilet paper bride game. She is at the height of her fame right now and she really could have used a better stylist.
6. Margot Robbie - Margot Robbie is stunning, but this Chanel outfit was way too casual for an awards show. She looked like she was on a tropical vacation, getting ready to go out to dinner. Her choice needed to be dressier!
There you have it! I've shared my thoughts on the fashion winners and losers of the night, now you tell me - who were your favorites?
*All images courtesy of Just Jared.