The Emmy Awards are a delightful appetizer before the main course that is awards season (January - March). This particular broadcast honors the best in primetime television.
This year's awards ceremony was odd for two reasons: (1) there was no celebrity host, and (2) the show was airing on FOX. I was worried the lack of a host would lead to poor writing and skits designed to fill time, but in the end, the extra minutes allowed the show to honor series that had just wrapped, but made a tremendous mark, like Game of Thrones and Veep.
For me, the two best moments of the night were watching Jharrel Jerome win for his portrayal of Corey Wise in When They See Us, and Michelle Williams' acceptance speech calling for equal pay for women.
While it's fun to root for the shows I loved over the past year, the main event is always the red carpet fashion. Last night there was a pink and red theme, with multiple actresses rocking that color combo - Mandy Moore, Susan Kelechi Watson, Taraji P. Henson, Marisa Tomei, and more. Did you like it? It felt a little too Valentine's Day-ish to me.
Read on to see my picks for the best and worst dressed.
1. Regina King - Regina King was my #1 pick for best dressed at the Academy Awards back in March, and last night she slayed again. This ice blue Jason Wu gown fit her beautifully. The cinched waist is super flattering and the strap detail adds that extra bit of interest to the top.
2. Jameela Jamil - First, if you aren't watching The Good Place, hop to it! Jameela Jamil plays Tahani Al-Jamil, an heiress trying to shed her selfish ways. She turned heads on the red carpet in this strapless, A-line, ball gown. During her red carpet interview, she admitted that she did her own makeup!
3. Zendaya - When Zendaya stepped onto the carpet, all I could think was, "She looks like The Little Mermaid!" Last year rumors were swirling that Zendaya was being cast as Ariel in the live-action remake of the Disney classic. In the end, the role went to Halle Bailey. Last night, Zendaya wowed in this green Vera Wang dress.
4. Naomi Watts - This look is classic, Hollywood glamour. Watts presented alongside Jon Hamm, and let me tell you, that is a whole lot of gorgeous.
5. Phoebe Waller-Bridge - The creative mind behind Fleabag sparkled in this champagne colored Monique Lhuillier gown. I cheered loudly when she won for best writing and the show took home the trophy for best comedy series.
6. Milo Ventimiglia - #TeamJess forever. Milo Ventimiglia stepped onto the carpet looking devastatingly handsome. This is Us returns on Tuesday night, giving us an hour of Milo every week.
7. Justin Hartley - Justin Hartley, a.k.a. Kevin on This is Us, rocked a blue suit with total ease. It's a risk to stray from the expected black, but he looks quite dapper.
Ok, now onto the less sensible choices of the evening . . .
1. Amy Poehler - Amy Poehler has been on my worst dressed list for years. I have no idea why she won't get a proper stylist, but at this point, ast least my expectations are always low? This metallic jumpsuit with the unraveled bow tie was a total train wreck.
2. Sterling K. Brown - I am a huge Sterling K. Brown fan, but this look was a massive misstep. If your outfit choice looks like a STOP sign, probably best to select something else.
3. James Van Der Beek - Oh, Dawson. I cannot imagine what made him think a pink, velvet jacket was a good choice.
4. Chrissy Metz - Chrissy Metz has made some great dress choices over the years, but this wasn't one of them. I wanted to love it (especially because it's Christian Siriano!), but nothing about it was flattering.
5. Amy Adams - Something about this look felt very Halloween-y to me. There also seems to be excess fabric on the sleeves and the skirt. Just no, all around.
There you have it! My picks for the best and worst.
Tell me, did you watch? Who were your favorites?