I love the Primetime Emmy Awards because they are the appetizer before the entree that is awards season (January - March). They dangle the carrot - the red carpet glam, the hilarious opening monologue, the unexpected upsets - before you can really enjoy multiple shows come winter.
This year, Stephen Colbert was the host. As expected, he addressed the Trump administration in most of his remarks.
In an odd twist, this year the show had a live DJ doing all the voice overs. He sounded like a younger Kevin Hart. His name is Jermaine Fowler and you can read more about the decision to hire him here.
Everyone knows the real reason to watch award shows is the fashion. Below are my picks for the best and worst dressed on the Emmy red carpet this year.
1. Ellie Kemper - The Unbreakable Kimmy Schimdt star arrived in a glittering, blue Jenny Packham dress. At first I didn't realize the lower portion of the skirt was sheer. I thought this shape was wonderfully flattering on her and the hue was a perfect compliment to her red locks.
2. Sterling K. Brown - Randall is my favorite character on This Is Us and he always looks devastatingly handsome. Last night I learned he is married to Ryan Michelle Bathe of Army Wives. During the award show itself, I screamed with glee when Sterling won for Lead Actor in a Drama Series.
3. Yara Shahidi - Let's be honest, the Black-ish star has an amazing stylist. She kills it every time. She twinkled on the red carpet in this champagne Prada gown with green sequin embellishments.
4. Alexis Bledel - Rory Gilmore was honored last week with an Emmy for her role in the Handmaid's Tale. Last night she floated across the stage as a presenter in a black, fitted dress with sparkly details. The blue sequins at the waist of her dress perfectly matched her piercing blue eyes.
5. Liev Schreiber - The insanely handsome star of Ray Donovan rocked a classic tuxedo on the red carpet, with his son as his wing man.
Now, a look at the A-listers who made some major missteps.
1. Reese Witherspoon - Gosh, it pains me to put Reese on a worst dressed list. Unfortunately, her Stella McCartney number looked like an ill-fitting, oversized suit jacket. Also, was it just me, or did she seem wasted on the red carpet?
2. Tracee Ellis Ross - All the girls I was watching with agreed that Tracee's dress looked like it came from the closet of Mrs. Claus. The shape was not flattering, nor was the mix of sequins and feathers. A total miss.
3. Rachel Bloom - The Crazy Ex-Girlfriend star wowed on stage with her musical number, but couldn't make up for this sad Gucci dress. As one of the girls on the couch put it, "That looks like cheap lingerie."
4. Gabrielle Union - I follow the Being Mary Jane actress on Instagram and she is both funny and fierce. I was so disappointed to see her red carpet look last night. Her hair had multiple personalities - tight and slick in the front and crazy and puffy in the back. The dress and the jewelry were just too busy.
5. Chrissy Metz - I love Chrissy Metz, but she desperately needs a new stylist. All last year she bombed with dress picks during awards season and I was sad to see zero improvement with her choice of this Lela Rose gown. Chrissy, if you can hear me, please call Christian Siriano or Tadashi Shoji to dress you!
I also want to say that the slicked back, greasy hair style seen on multiple women last night was incredibly puzzling. That style is not cute and I hope by the time the Golden Globes roll around in January, people are over that look.
Tell me, who made your lists for the best and worst dressed?
*All images courtesy of Just Jared.