Thursday night was the season premiere of the fifth installment of FOX's dance competition show So You Think You Can Dance.
This is 100 percent, without a doubt, my favorite show on television. There, I said it. Even more than Grey's Anatomy or Gossip Girl, SYTYCD (as its known to those of us that email about it constantly) is the one show I absolutely, positively, cannot live without.
Below find my list of the Top 10 Reasons Why Your Life Is Incomplete Without SYTYCD:
1) The sexy, uber talented, Wade Robson. Also known as the choreographer that broke up Justin and Britney, Wade is responsible for some of the most outrageous, mind bending, powerful routines on the show.
4) Mary's hot tamale train. The Paula Abdul of the judging panel, Mary's highest honor is a ticket on her hot tamale train. Its cute to see how excited the contestants get when they are bestowed this spicy, hot gift.
5) The best playlist ever. Each episode I wind up downloading a song the show exposes me to and I wind up with an entire playlist of high energy, or emotionally charged jams by the end of the season.
6) Guest appearances from past winners - anyone else hoping for the return of Will?
7) Musical guests. Last summer (2008) a new artist called Lady GaGa appeared on the show in a blond wig, wearing a space suit like outfit (no pants) and the song was so weird that I fast forwarded the DVR through the performance. The song? "Just Dance". Clearly FOX knows something I don't about the next big thing.
8) Sonya. She only has one name, just like Madonna and she choreographs strange, dark contemporary routines that are surprisingly captivating. And oh yeah, she has a mohawk.
Check out the audition of my early favorite, Natalie Reid, who made it to the final two last year, and was cut, making way for her roommate Katie to advance to the final four dancers.
SYTYCD airs Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8:00pm on FOX.