After only two episodes I am completely hooked on MTV's new reality show Taking the Stage. The show airs every Thursday night at 10:00pm and follows the lives of seven students at Cincinnati's School for the Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA). The show is executive produced by Nick Lachey, who is an alum of SCPA (although he doesn't seem bad a** enough to survive that school).
If you are not watching the show, you should be locked up and forced to watch so you can see the fabulousness that you're missing and realize the error of your ways! In the meantime, here are a few reasons why you should tune in:
1) The show is like the best combination of the movies Step Up, Save the Last Dance, Center Stage, and the prom scene from She's All That, except . . . its REAL.
2) The show has the most ridiculous (translation: amazing) soundtrack including: Little Jackie, Lady GaGa, Kevin Rudolf, Flo Rida and more. I dare you to not dance.
3) So far in every episode there has been a spontaneous dance battle. Need I say more?
4) Mia, the aspiring singer/songwriter who also plays guitar and saxophone. Mia gets broken up with 2 minutes before she was supposed to go on stage for the senior talent show and she STILL nailed the song and got a request from a Jive Records rep for a demo tape! That's right girlfriend, you show 'em. On the most recent episode she performed a cover of Adele's "Chasing Pavements" at the homecoming dance that rivaled the original. She looks like a hybrid of actress Sarah Rue and teen pop singer JoJo. Give this girl a record deal!
5) Aaron's unrequited love for Mia. Aaron is Mia's best friend and also happens to be in love with her. He calls their relationship a "platonic mess". Whenever she wants a band to back her up, he rallies the troops, and anchors the band on the drums. When Mia wanted to enter the couples dance contest, he agreed to be her partner. We all had that person in high school we desperately loved and watched them date jerk after jerk after jerk. You'll want to reach through the TV and hug Aaron. And maybe even offer to take him out yourself!
6) Tyler, a junior amongst mostly seniors on the show, has so much swagger, I always here MIA singing "No one on the corner has swagger like us, swagger, swagger like us" each time he comes on camera. The kid has sick dance moves and a smile that melts the ladies' hearts.